Sunday, April 26, 2009

Police Officer, "oui;" Sheriff, "non"

Okay, time to get caught up with what's happened during the past few days.

On April 13th I auditioned for the role of a retired sheriff in the student film, "Ringworm," a farce/parody/hybrid of "The Ring" and "Tremors." I didn't get the role, but I was notified in a very nice way:


"Thank you so much for coming to our audition yesterday, it was a real pleasure to meet you! Although you did an outstanding job and gave an amazing performance my partner and I have decided to go in a different direction for this particular project. Please do not let this dissuade you from auditioning for us in the future and we wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors."


I think that is boilerplate text that all student directors are required to use when notifying actors they did not get the role. "Sob, sob, boo hoo."

The other role that I auditioned for I did get. It was in a student film called "Delusions." I played a cop with probably 5 to 10 seconds of screen time. Just long enough to rush and disarm the kidnapper. In order to be more involved in the production I volunteered to take production stills during breaks in the filming. I also got to be the boom operator (I was disappointed to learn that it didn't involve creating loud noises.)

I had an audition on Thursday, April 25 for the role of Officer Dan. Yep, another Officer of the Law. This is a paid role for a feature film, "Killer School Girls from Outer Space." Sounds highbrow, doesn't it? It's going to be a cheesy, 1950s-style SciFi flick. A decision on the audition will not be made for 3 weeks. Stay tuned.

A Favorite Quote

"Be excellent to each other." ~ Bill and Ted from 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure'

Here are some stills from "Delusions."

Photo 1: A break during the filming of the kidnapping sequence. Photo 2: The Director of Photography and the film's Director consider the upcoming scene.


3 comments:

Emmett said...

Gary, you rock.

Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me want to try to become an actor too

Susan said...

You're becoming one of the "in" crowd, Mr Actor - I'm living vicariously through your adventures and loving it!
S-