Saturday, March 28, 2009

It's Complicated

I went to the University of Texas Student TV studio for the scheduled shoot this morning. Took the bus and arrived 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of 8 am. I began to get worried when no one had shown up by 8:10 so I called Donavan, the producer, and apparently woke him up. He said he called me last night, but my phone was disconnected. Apparently he mis-dialed the number and, consequently, I didn't get the word that the shoot had been postponed to a yet undecided date and time. Apparently some of the cast couldn't make it at the scheduled time.

This event brought into focus a fact that is obvious once examined. Unpaid actors are not very motivated nor committed -- at least not like they would be if a paycheck were involved. And, all student films that I am aware of use student as actors unless an older person is needed for a particular role. And, as we all know, stuff happens.

I just hope I don't have a conflict when the next shoot is scheduled. My calender has a few other shoots that I am committed to, but as I've learned they may change, also.

My other job for today also got changed, but only by an hour. The improv group is meeting to come up with ideas to improve our skits from last Monday's shoot. We'll spend some time brainstorming then reshoot the skits. I really like these guys. I can't wait to see a finished video.

PS: When you see the video you'll know why I had such a good time filming.

A Favorite Quote

"I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." ~ Groucho Marx

No comments: