Monday, March 9, 2009

A Little More Emotion, Please


I had my audition for the short student film, "Illegal Crossing" late yesterday, Mar. 8. After it was over I felt like I could have done a better job. The scene was dramatic and deserved more emotion that I delivered. I guess my feelings are justified given that this was the first audition I'd done that required such strong emotions. Still, I am less than satisfied with myself.

In an email, Allen Ho, the creator/director/producer et. al, said he is considering me for the role of Frank, an older rancher in south Texas who, apparently, hires illegal migrants from across the border to work on his ranch.

Not having seen a script I only got a vague idea of the context of the audition scene. What I do know is that there are at least three men and a body in it. The role of "body" was a non-speaking one at this point. In the role I am reading -- not the role of Frank -- I am holding a gun on a worker arguing with him about whether or not we should report the killing of another worker laying on the ground. When I look away he grabs the gun...

In my mind there are advantages to doing a cold reading in an audition. Mainly, in a cold reading the expectations can't be as high (I hope), plus you do not have to spend any time memorizing lines and trying to guess what the director will be looking for in the characterization. So I'm not sure which is worse, the pressure of having to read lines you've never seen, or the pressure of flubbing lines you are expected to know. I don't look forward with gleeful anticipation to either scenario, but I believe I am a little more relaxed for the cold readings so far.

More Casting Calls

I sent off 3 more emails this morning in response to casting calls posted on the internet. One was for an independent film, "Conflict of Interest." Another, as yet untitled, student film is about a series of intimate moments with an elderly man as he spends a day by himself grieving over a lost companion. This casting call was posted on Feb. 17, so it is likely already cast.

The third casting call was for a 3-minute trailer that will be used to raise money for production of an independent film. The synopsis: In a small town in Texas where nothing ever happens, something is brewing. "Beer Train - An Intoxicating Comedy."

Before I could get this posted I found another casting call for a shoot on 3/11 & 3/14, yep, this week. The headline on this one was: Cheech and Chong DVD (The Making of): Featured Extras and Background Extras Needed. That got my interest real quick for a couple of reasons. First of all, I was a big fan of Cheech & Chong back in their heyday, and secondly the two words "featured extras." I have learned that featured extras often have a line or two and get paid more than "background extras." Woo Hoo! Money, dinero, greenbacks. And everybody wants to go green these days. Moi included.

A Favorite Quote

"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses." - Ziggy

1 comment:

Susan said...

You are on fire, Mister! I see "character actor" in your future - especially since you are quite a character!!
Susan